2013 Session

Budget Amendments - HB1500 (Member Request)

View Budget Item
View Budget Item amendments

Chief Patron: Bell, Richard
Co-Patron(s): Landes
Todd Lake Dam

Item 360 #9h

Item 360 #9h

First Year - FY2013 Second Year - FY2014
Natural Resources
Conservation and Recreation, Department of FY2013 $0 FY2014 $250,000 GF

Page 318, line 16, strike "$56,405,430" and insert "$56,655,430".
Page 320, after line 20, insert:
"4.  Notwithstanding § 10.1-603.19, Code of Virginia, the Director, Department of Conservation and Recreation, in consultation with the Virginia Resources Authority, is authorized to provide financial or other assistance from the Dam Safety, Flood Prevention and Protection Assistance Fund, including the provision of a grant to a locality of up to $250,000 for the costs of modifying a high hazard dam that has received approval as of September 2012 for federal funding from the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service for at least 65 percent of the cost of repairing the locally-owned dam.  The local government shall contribute all remaining costs of modifying this high hazard dam."

(This amendment provides general fund dollars as the Commonwealth's contribution to the modification of the Todd Lake Dam, which has been classified as a high hazard dam due to the downstream development. Pursuant to a document posted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service in September 2012, the Natural Resources Conservation Service would provide up to 65 percent of project costs. However, the "project sponsors" are responsible for the remaining 35 percent of project costs. The project sponsors for the modification of the Todd Lake Dam are the Headwaters Soil and Water Conservation District, which assumed responsibility for the operation and maintenance of the Todd Lake Dam in 1993, and the Augusta County Board of Supervisors. The amendment provides $300,000 from the general fund as a grant from the Commonwealth for this project, and allocates any remaining cost to Augusta County.)